This is a rough estimate of how much in you can spend in roofing a house in Nigeria. Whether it’s a bungalow or a duplex, whatever type of house, you’ll get the guidelines for the rough estimate. You might spend slightly more or even less depending on some factors.
Yes, you can actually know the amount of money you need if you want to roof a house even without starting the project. You just need to take into consideration some factors and circumstances that are peculiar to Nigeria.
Prices of roofing sheets
When it comes to prices of this roofing sheets, it can change the amount someone bought him 5 months ago may not be the same amount another person will buy his own.
For example, a long span aluminum roofing sheet may go for N1,250 per meter for 0.45mm on January and on Nov to December it might increase due to festivities.
For the current prices of roofing sheet in the market you can check it out, otherwise visit the nearest Timber market to find out prices for yourself, if you are not available we can gladly get you these prices in any state you want (see our services page)
Types of roofing sheet
There are many types of roofing sheet, from ordinary zinc to long span roofing sheet, they all have different prices, for instance, the price for aluminum roofing sheet is different from stone coated stipe tile, if you’ll like to see the various types of roofing sheet in Nigeria and their pictures check this article.
You need to determine what type of wood will be best suitable for your roofing style, hardwood, single wood etc.
Carpenters/ labor cost
The third factor is the carpenters that will roof the house, they don’t have a fixed price, a set can charge an amount while another can charge a different amount, so they are not fixed. (If you’re in PH, IMO, Abia and Lagos and in need of good carpenters that specializes in roofing contact us to recommend really good ones.)
Those are the four major factors you need to consider, others are Minor.
What are the materials needed for roofing?
This is for roofing alone excluding the ceiling cladding, facial flashing, eave angle, valley gutter, angle ridge caps, wall trimmer or wall tape is which is usually 496 square meters for a large house.
We will take into account the dimensions,
These dimensions are essential to determine the accurate span of Rafter, Wallplate, Tie beam, King Post, Overhang, Purlins, fan struts, and others.
Now for a standard house, we have
Ceiling noggins of 600mm, and 600mm as overhangs on both sides you’ll have 7,800mm or 7.8m +1200mm or 1-2m=9meters.
Then divide by 0.6m of 16.975m of 50 by 50 you’ll have 15 PCs of wood.
– For the number of 2 by 2 wood to buy in the market for the ceiling noggins-
18.175m x 15pcs=273m of 2” by 2”
9m x 31pcs=279m of 2” by 2”
In the market, the wood comes in 3.6m per piece
So 552/3.6=153 pcs of 2” by 2” you will buy 153 pc of 2 by 2 wood for ceiling noggins.
– For wall plate 28pcs of 3” by 4”
– For facial board 15pcs of 1” by 12”
– For Tie beams 32pcs of 2 by 6 of wood
– For struts, 64 pcs of 3 by 4 or 75mm by 100mm
– For Rafters in our case the height of the roof as 3.5m and the breadth of plan plus overhang is 9m, so 24 pcs of 3” by 4” required for rafters.
– For Purlin which is wood of 2” by 2” or 50mm by 50mm we nail the roofing sheets on, 66 pieces of 2” by 2”
– Others are King post which is a piece of wood that stands at the middle of two rafters at the opposing sides.
For Kingpost 15 pieces of wood of 2″ by 6″ is needed, see the diagram for details
|This is where wall plate, strut and rafter is located.|
I’m I boring you with the technicalities? Here is a summary of what is needed For a 3 bedroom bungalow
1. 7 and a half bundles of Alo Zinc ( you can roof with other type of roofing sheet)
2. 16 pcs of facing board
3. 200 units of coconut tree plank.
4. One bag of 4 inches nail
5. A quarter of a bag of 3 inches nail.
6. Transporting the planks, roofing and facing board to the site.
7. Labor cost (that is if the prices are not bundled together by the carpenter, most carpenters buy the materials and execute the project)
Let’s just come down to the amount of money you should budget if you want to roof your house.
Depending on the current prices of items in the market it shouldn’t cost more than N500,000 for a standard house in Nigeria.
The recent project we did was for 420,000 for roofing a 4 bedroom Bungalow house with 0.45mm Longspan North brow roofing sheet in Aba Abia state.